The Santa Susana Field Laboratories (SSFL) was established by Rockwell International in 1946. SSFL comprises approximately 2,700 acres located in the southeastern section of Ventura County. Rocket engine testing began at the SSFL in the 1940s. Research conducted at SSFL since its activities began has proved to generate hazardous waste.Two major investigations (1982 and 1990) have been completed and continual oversight activities of the area by the U.S. Department of Energy and the Regional Water Control Board have closely documented the cleanup activities at SSFL. In December 1996, Rocketdyne Division of Rockwell, as well as the Santa Susana Field Laboratories became a subsidiary of Boeing North American, Inc. The collection includes action plans, assessment and investigative reports, and bimonthly and quarterly monitoring reports conducted by various environmental consulting firms and government agencies.