Skip to Main Content
Welcome to the HSCI 438 library research guide. The guide is designed to help you locate, evaluate and use a variety of resources for your research and assignments.
Remember, always ask your professor about format related issues!
To navigate through the guide use the tabs on the left-hand side.
Brainstorm Search Terms
- Once you have chosen a topic, write it down in the form of a question or brief statement:
- What is the relationship between SAT scores and college success?
- Pull out the keywords and phrases that are most specific to your topic:
- "SAT scores" and "college success"
- Take those keywords and phrases and brainstorm related terms, concepts or synonyms
- SAT scores > "scholastic aptitude test" or "college admission test"
- college > "university" or "higher education"
- success > achievement
- Formulate a search strategy using boolean search, wildcards, phrases, etc.
- (SAT OR "scholastic aptitude test") AND (college OR universit*) AND (succe* OR achieve*)
Tips for Narrowing Your Topic
- Narrow your focus to formulate a research question
- Brainstorm related keywords and concepts
- Reference resources can help you select and narrow your topic
- Can you narrow your topic to a specific
- Time period?
- Geographical area?
- Race, ethnicity, gender, or age group?
Report ADA Problems with Library Services and Resources